Discover how to treat a variety of conditions with herbal medicine.
Herbal medicine treats symptoms of illness organically and naturally. It uses single herbs or a combination of herbs to help restore health. We often use herbal medicine in conjunction with acupuncture. However, herbal therapies may also be used alone and can be quite powerful.
At the Silicon Valley Natural Health Clinic, we prescribe herbal remedies from the system of Chinese medicine and from Western herbalism to offer our patients the best that both methods have to offer. However, please remember that herbal medicine can be harmful when used incorrectly —always use it with caution. Take the proper herbal combinations in the correct dosages; herbal remedies can interact negatively or diminish the effectiveness of prescription medications. A trained health care provider should supervise prescriptions and herbal medicines, especially for pregnant women.
What are the differences between Chinese herbs and those used in Western practices?
Here is a brief comparison:
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
- Most Chinese herbs come from China.
- Chinese herbs have been tested and classified as medicinal from Chinese Herbalists centuries ago.
- Chinese herbs do not target specific symptoms but work to alleviate the root cause of the problems.
- TCM expands the definition of herbal medicine to include anything found in nature that can be used medicinally including animal by-products, shells and minerals.
- Each herbal medicine prescription is usually a cocktail of many substances tailored to the individual patient.
Naturopathy and Herbal Treatments
In naturopathy, given time and proper balance, the body heals itself. Herbal remedies help the body achieve proper balance and assist the body in healing itself. Various parts of plants such as stems, leaves, seeds, barks, fruits, and roots are used to prepare herbal medicines.
The advantages of Western herbal medicine include:
- Herbal treatments are effective for illnesses of short duration (such as colds and flu) without the side effects of over-the-counter, or prescription drugs.
- Herbal treatments can safely and naturally target a particular organ of the body, or be used as tinctures or tonics to aid in overall health.
- Herbs contribute towards strengthening the immune system.
- Herbal treatments work best with proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle support. The behaviors that support effective herbal treatments have desirable and lasting benefits.
If you want to use herbal remedies to achieve wellness safely and naturally, please make an appointment to learn more about the best options for your health.
Disclaimer: This brief summary is for informative purpose only and should not be substituted for the advice of a registered medical professional. Please seek the advice of a qualified medical practitioner before consuming any medicines and herbs.